Oak, White 2 Deceased

June 27, 2021 CATS’ picnic took place here, to celebrate this fine old tree. Reverend John Thomas joins us, wearing a red shirt.

June 29 ’21, Bartlett Tree Service cut back dead limbs from the tree in hopes of prolonging its life. Around half of the tree has been in decline.

By September the tree turned mostly brown.

Emmanuel Cemetery

photo from 2017

White Oak

White Oak in spring, Emmanuel Church by billemory.com

geo_mashup_map
Address:Emmanuel Episcopal Church, 7599 Rockfish Gap Turnpike, Greenwood, VA
Common Name:Oak, White
Latin Name:Quercus alba
Circumference:19.3' diameter 6.1' (below lowest branch)
Age:400+
Category:- Large Size
- Landmark
- Churchyard/cemetery
- Historical
GPS Coordinates:38.0333367,-78.7631839
Comments:There is Oral History on this tree saying it's 400 years old! One of our eldest, well cared for trees grows at the entrance to a fine old church, right along 250W. Work has been done near the tree, but great care was take to fence it off. Emmanuel Church members say a buffalo and Indian trail ran over the roots once, along Rockfish Gap and Rivanna Turnpike. Stagecoaches and wagons came by. The church was planned in the 1850's, built in 1865. One parishoner's sisters played on the branches, early 1900's. "The tree looks just like it did then." It features a low 60' branch, now on the ground, that is popular among children.

Unfortunately, now, half the tree has died back. CATS had their annual picnic on site 2021 to celebrate this wonderful specimen while we have it. Michael Abbot, featured in Remarkable Trees of Va, said the Oak's low location and a likely a source of water nearby helped the tree survive so long. It grew wider than tall, not needing to compete for sunlight. There also used to be a Thou Shalt Not Park sign to protect roots from compaction. "One can picture decades of church goers and many a bride walking by on the now crumbling brick sidewalk that passes in front of the oak, and where one can view the Blue Ridge Mountains through the enormous branches."

Other large oaks grow in the historic cemetery.
Owner:Emmanuel Episcopal Church